Help for young people

Sometimes people who are married or in a relationship decide to split up, separate or divorce. This can happen for many different reasons. It's not your fault and you shouldn't blame yourself.

When parents split up, they need to think about lots of different things; like where you will live and when you will see the parent that you don’t live with. Sometimes parents find it difficult to agree on these things and might decide that a child contact centre is needed for you to spend time with the parent or family member you don’t live with.

Watch the video to find out how four different children get on at a contact centre.

Video produced by Relationships Scotland (2012). No subtitles. Used with permission.

Listen to the stories of some of the children who have been helped by the Neutral Ground Child Contact Centre.

Video produced by Neutral Ground (2016). No subtitles. Used with permission.

Further help A-Z

We’ve found these booklets, factsheets, videos and websites which will hopefully help in your current situation. 

Please click on the link icon to find out more... To download the booklets/factsheets please click on the Adobe Reader icon below. If you do not have the correct software installed then you can download free viewers. ( PDF Reader ) 

Cafcass videos

The Cafcass videos below share the experience of other children and young people whose parents have split up. If you want to talk with someone about the your situation – please do contact Childline (see below)……

Video produced by Cafcass (2015). No subtitles. Used with permission.

Video produced by Cafcass (2015). No subtitles. Used with permission.

Video produced by Cafcass (2015). No subtitles. Used with permission.

Video produced by Cafcass (2015). No subtitles. Used with permission.


Cafcass information - what happens when families go to court?

Cafcass stands for Children and Family Court Advisory Support Service, but they use Cafcass because it is much shorter and easier to say. They work with children and young people in family court cases. They make sure that your voices are heard, and decisions are taken in your best interests. Parents sometimes find it hard to agree on important things and ask the court for help. Cafcass’ website explains how this works.

Kitty, Jess and Ewan talk about how Cafcass worked with them

Video produced by Cafcass (2015). No subtitles. Used with permission.


If you are worried or anxious about your parents splitting up or want to talk about it Childline can help. You can call them anytime on 0800 1111 or chat online or email them through the website. Click on the link to find out more

Family Mediation

Ministry of Justice (2016)

If your parents have just split-up or are getting a divorce they might need to talk to a mediation service to sort out arrangements. This video helps to explain what a mediation service is.


Sometimes it can be confusing when we hear words and phrases that we do not understand. The Family Justice Young People’s Board (FJYPB) have put together a glossary explaining some of the words and phrases which children and young people may hear about during a family court case.

Information for parents, children and grandparents following separation

NACCC (June 2018)

Information sheet produced by NACCC explaining the work of child contact centres and other organisations helping separated families.



Wondering about your rights? LawStuff provides legal advice and information for young people. LawStuff was set up to ensure that young people have access to find out their legal rights and to get advice on what they can do. LawStuff looks at what happens if your parents separate and cannot agree on decisions about you such as where you live and who you spend time with.

My family’s changing – for younger children

Cafcass (2008)

The ‘My family’s changing’ leaflets give you help and support if your parents are separating or getting a divorce. The leaflets include ideas from other children who have been through a similar thing, games, spaces to write down your feelings and details of organisations that can give you more help.

The link takes you to Cafcass' resources for young people. Click on 'Factsheets & Leaflets'.



NYAS stands for National Youth Advocacy Service, but they are known simply as NYAS. Their advocates can support and listen to you if you feel your wishes and feelings are not being heard by your social worker, carers or anyone else involved in decisions about your care and welfare.


The Family Justice Young People’s Board have developed a range of Top Tips aimed at parents and professionals working with children and young people, including:

  • Top tips for separating parents
  • FJYPB's top tips for respecting children and young people's diversity
  • Aleesha's top tips for working with children and young people with a disability
  • Matthew's top tips for working with children and young people with autism
  • Top tips for working with transgender children and young people
  • Top tips for working with LGB children and young people

Link takes you to the FJYPB web page. Scroll down to 'Our top tips for professionals'

Voices in the Middle


Are your parents splitting up? Voices is the Middle is a place where you can read helpful articles, have a voice and help others, and where you can connect with others.

Share your story? Have you experienced your parents splitting up? Do you have something to say about it? What is your advice for parents and other young people going through the same?


Not found what you are looking for?

Check out our links page for more organisations that might be able to help you in your situation.